Sunday, January 22, 2006

I am wondering if anyone else out there feels the same as I do about the light sentences some people get for horrific crimes and the statute of limitations being so short to prosecute for some crimes.

I recently had a co-worker, we'll call him Pete, who got arrested for sexual assault on children. Mind you this is someone I had worked with for about 5 years and even socialized with occassionally outside of work. I had no idea. You know what they say, it's always the quiet ones, right? In this case it was true.

Anyway, apparently this man (I use the term loosely to describe him) had been at this for at least the past 25 years. He would befriend single mothers with young children, worm his way into their lives, build trust and then begin his abuse with these kids. He wasn't choosy, he would molest boys and girls. SICK BASTARD!!!!

Whatever hold he had on these children was strong, because the first time he was ever accused was in 2000, by someone he had molested more than 10 years earlier. Unfortunately, because the statute of limitations had already run out on this particular crime, he was never arrested. By this time he was already living here in Texas.

I don't understand, why they have such a short amount of time in which they can pursue charges against these animals. You would think that for a crime as heinous as this, there would be no statute of limitations. No wonder why there are so many repeat offenders out there. These bastards deliberately prey on the most vulnerable of our society, the ones who are too scared to speak up or out. They know they will keep their mouths shut, until it's too late.

This animal was finally stopped last year when he was arrested. He has been in jail for several months, while the police have continued their investigation into him. They were able to only charge him with counts for acts he commited against six children. Even though there were at least 6 other children (now young adults) who also came forward from here in the area. This didn't include the children from the previous case back in 2000 or the ones they found scattered all over the US and overseas (he was in the military).

Do you know this bastard decided to plead guilty (I suppose that is good, at least these victims didn't have to relive the horror of his crimes with him looking on in enjoyment.) and he got sentenced to a high amount of years, I don't remember the exact amount, but he only has to serve 40 years before he is eligible for parole. Forty years, that's it, while these children serve a lifetime!

My heart hurts for these children and all the pain they have had to go through and will most likely continue to go through. I pray that his being in prison will bring some kind of peace to their lives and allow them to bring some sort of closure in their lives.

To Pete, I hope you rot in prison. I hope that the same horrifc things you inflicted on each of these children are inflicted on you every day for the rest of your rotten misreable existence. Thank you for opening my eyes to see that what we see is not what we get, in all cases.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

40 years does sound like a short amount of time for a crime as terrible as this, but you've got to remember one thing... Child molesters don't survive to long in prison. Even among thieves there is some honor. "Short Eyes", a prison term for a child molester, are at the very bottom of the food chain. Ex cops fare better than them inside. And me being an ex cop, just the thought of going inside for one minute scares the living shit out of me.

You remember he is now probably getting maytaged by Bubba every night in his cell... Getting the same as what he gave to his victims.

I for one have a very personal feeling about this. I was molested as a pre-teen by a boyscout leader. The guy finally got justice I heard around 1994 or so, long after my abuse. I heard also that he was killed in prison.

I hope he rots in hell.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

Such bs, man. It turns my stomach. It really does.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home