Sunday, January 08, 2006

Today I did one the coolest things that I think I have ever done. I volunteered for the USO Send Off for a group of soldiers heading off to Kuwait. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was one of the single most touching days I have had in a long time. Just when I think how much my life sucks etc. something or someone comes along and shows me how great my life really is. I am not having to leave my family and friends for months or years, to go to some hot, dusty desert and fight in a war that I may or may not believe in. It blew my mind to look at these men and women and realize that some of them may not make it back or that if they do their lives as they know it will never be the same because of the things they are about to experience. They all seemed so calm and collected. I wanted to just yell at them and ask them how they can be so calm when their lives are about to be turned upside down. If that was me about to leave, I would have probably pulled out every hair on my body, chewed every nail down to the quick and just in general have gone crazy.

These men and women are incredible. They kept thanking me for the bottles of water or the piece of candy that I was giving them and all I could think was, "Why are you thanking me? Why are you so appreciative of the small insignificant things that I take forgranted everday? You are getting ready to go to a place that I would never be able to survive in." All I could say was, "No, thank you for being willing to give of yourself to protect
me and my family here." And even that seemed so lacking in emotion.

Most of the men and women were there alone, but a few had their families there sending them off. One man and his little boy (also dressed in fatigues) were there, the little boy was probably 7 or 8. When we had gone around asking the men, women and families if they wanted any candy, this little boy had very matter of factly told us that he had just eaten and didn't need any candy. When we encouraged him to take something off the cart, he chose a toothbrush. A TOOTHBRUSH!!!! How mature for someone so young.

Later, as the men and women were boarding the plane to begin their journey, I looked over and saw this little boy looking up at his daddy and trying with all his might to hold it all together so his daddy wouldn't see him cry. His face all scrunched up and red. His daddy just looked at him, bent down and hugged him and proceeded to board the plane. Then this little, brave boy just cried silently to himself. If that had been me (now at the age I am today) I would have been wailing and gnashing my teeth, trying to follow him down the walkway and hold on to my daddy for dear life.

I was a little shy, this being my first experience, so I didn't get to talk to as many soldiers as I would have liked, but I know that I have found something that I really enjoy doing and that has meaning. I am excited to see what my next experience with these men and women will be like.

I hope you all have a great week and remember no matter how bad you think you have it, there is always some one out there who has it much worse than you!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Me said...

I'm glad the volunteering went well. It sounds like a great experience and so not worth missing. Good for you!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I loved the USO when I was a soldier... It help things along, letting us know we weren't totally forgotten...

Thank you for volunteering

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home